Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Australian Open Effect


There's a little thing I like to call The Australian Open Effect – so named because every time the Australian Open airs on TV, I'm suddenly overcome by the urge to play tennis. Doesn't matter that I don't really know how. Doesn't even matter that I don't own a raquet. I see Anna and Serena and Venus hitting it up on the court, and suddenly I want to be a tennis pro. Thankfully the effect only lasts about as long as the telecast, but I've started to realise The Australian Open Effect is becoming more far reaching.

There was The Swimming Championship Effect. And The World Cup Effect. Now there is The Tour De France effect. Yep, I don't even own a bike, but all of a sudden I'm waking up thinking I could be the next Lance Armstrong. And I'm riding every spin class like I'm gunning for a yellow jersey. Well, I guess if it makes me work harder in spin class, it can't be that bad, right?

Do you ever get overcome by The Australian Open Effect?

No comments:

Post a Comment