Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fire Up The Pizza Oven.

Poppytalk

Sometimes I think pizzas get a bad wrap. Of course, the greased-up ones you get delivered from Dominos are not good (like really not good) but I found this recipe for a healthy pizza that actually looks quite delicious...

Hummus Vegetable Pizza
1 1/2 cup hummus (homemade or store-bought)
1 cup ricotta cheese, divided
1 head broccoli, broken into florets & lightly steamed
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Flaky salt & freshly ground pepper
Your favorite pizza dough
2 tbs cornmeal
1 tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 425F.

1. Blend together the hummus and 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese until combined. Set aside.

2. After your pizza dough has risen, use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to grease up a walled cookie sheet. I use my hands for this. Sprinkle sheet with cornmeal and then push out or roll out your pizza dough until it spreads to all 4 corners.

3. Spread hummus evenly over pizza dough and scatter the steamed broccoli florets, red pepper slices and onion over top. Sprinkle with salt and give it a good grind of black pepper. Drop the remaining ricotta cheese over the pizza. Place in oven and heat for about 20 minutes or until the crust becomes golden. Slice and eat hot. 

And if you've got any winning topping combos, send 'em my way. Because sharing is caring, you guys.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds OK but doesn't beat the fig, prosciutto and gorgonzola number I whipped up the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds divine! I can't believe how long I put up with ham and pineapple, never knowing there were so many more inventive topping options. So late to the pizza party...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh yummy! Piiiizza. I swear, after making pizza yourself at home you'll never go back to buying from a store, there's no comparison! I like to add some baby spinach leaves to mine, though I put it under the grill instead of bake it so they don't go too wilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grill... Now that's something I never thought of!

    ReplyDelete