Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

You Got The Skills?

Dear Colleen

In my mind there is one thing that can make or break a gym class: the instructor. And it's tricky because everyone has different likes and dislikes, but there are a few things instructors do that I think most people find très annoying...

1. They sing along to the music. You can tell me you want "more, more, more" from me, but you're not Usher and there's a good reason your vocals didn't make it onto his last album.

2. They scream in your face – and it's scary. At 7.15am, let's take the aggression down a notch. And while you're there, maybe the mic volume, too.

3. They don't push you. I had one spin instructor who told everyone to "turn it up" but then quickly followed it with an "or don't, if you don't feel like it". Seriously?

4. They play the same music. Every. Week. Shake it up, or I'll shake things up by going to someone else's class.

5. They talk to you like you're fresh out of kindergarten. "Bend from the hippies my darlings." Hips, they're just called hips.

What's your take? What do you think makes a good instructor?

No comments:

Post a Comment