Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Is Feeding Kids Junk Food Child Abuse?

SMH
 
This week, The Biggest Loser trainer Michelle Bridges told Sunday Life magazine she sees feeding junk food to kids as a form of child abuse. 
 
"You can blame the childhood obesity epidemic on many factors, but the ultimate responsibility lies with parents," says Michelle. "It's crazy, really - we all know what we should be eating. There are no secrets out there. How many times have you heard someone say, 'I shouldn't be eating this, but...' as they stuff another piece of banana bread in their mouth? If we accept that we all pretty much know what we should and shouldn't be eating to maintain a healthy weight, then isn't regularly feeding a child junk food and not teaching them how to eat well at some level a form of child abuse? I put it to you that it is... So if we know that parental responsibility for a child's weight starts even before conception, how can we justify the notion that their responsibility is in any way diminished during a child's early life?"

I have to say, I agree with Michelle. I grew up in a healthy household. Where fruit platters always came out after dinner and raw broccoli was a compulsory starter to most meals. Sometimes maybe it bordered on excessive (I don't know anyone else who got "sweet bans" as punishments, where all treats went off the menu for a full seven days) but it did arm me with a wealth of knowledge I realise I'm lucky to have. Because feeding your kids healthy foods isn't just about keeping them at an acceptable weight on the scales, it's also about giving them the know-how so they can create for themselves a balanced diet. 

I could count the number of times my mum took us to McDonald's as a kid on one hand. Actually, I could probably tell you the exact circumstances that led to each visit (as a treat before we saw Beauty & Beast on ice, as a desperate last-minute dinner option on the way home from the hospital after the birth of my cousin Bianca, and for breakfast on the way to Queensland – but even then we had raisin toast.) I've since given the Golden Arches a lot more service, but that's been as an adult – when I'm old enough (and stupid enough) to make my own decisions about what I eat. I'm glad Mum never fed us fast food. I'm glad she never gave us Coke and always made us mix our Coco Pops half/half with Rice Bubbles. And I'm glad that she made us ask before we had anything sweet like a biscuit but gave us free reign on the fruit bowl (which we never took enough advantage of), because that's how I learned what foods are healthy and what stuff should only be eaten occasionally. 

It would have been easier to give us a tub of hot chips every time she wanted us to go to swimming lessons without a fuss, like so many other mums did, but she went with a blend of good old-fashioned pleading and discipline to get us there. And on the odd cold day she surprised us with a tub of chips – to share, of course. I'm certain it wasn't always easy to teach, but I'm grateful that Mum never caved because now, my sister and I are armed with the knowledge to make good, healthy choices – even if we do sometimes throw it to the wind and head to Macca Dees. But only on the odd occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment