I'm a pretty novice baker, but muffins I can do. They're simple, quick and don't even require a beater. This weekend I took a stab at these jam muffins, and they went down like a treat. Recipe courtesy of Serious Eats... Make them, then freeze them so you're not tempted to scoff down the whole lot.
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup jam
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and spray 12 standard-sized muffin tins with baking spray, or line them with paper liners. Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, egg, and honey. Whisk to combine, making sure the honey is fully dissolved.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just enough to combine. It will be lumpy. Add the jam, and fold the mixture a few times to distribute it, but leave the mixture streaky. Portion the mixture evenly into the muffin tins.
- Bake at 190 degrees until the muffins are browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on a rack.