Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

On The Couch: Barney's Version



What's the story? I had no real intention of ever seeing this movie. My dad told me he and Mum were going to see it and asked if I wanted to come. "What's it about?" I asked. "No idea," said Dad. And all Mum knew was that it got four stars in the paper. So I googled the trailer (so at least one of us would have a vague idea of what we were all shlepping to Leichardt to see) and in a nutshell the film tells the story of the bold and impulsive Barney Panofsky (Paul Giamatti) and his three marriages.

Why it's worth paying $17.50 to see... The trailer might sell this as a funny flick, and it does have it's laugh-out-loud moments, but what results from this quirky little film is actually a very touching version events from a character who, despite all his flaws, is actually very likeable. There might not be many big names in the rolling credits but Dustin Hoffman is fantastic as Barney's eccentric father, making this underrated gem well worth a look if you can get to one of the few art house cinemas showing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment