Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

On The Couch: X-Men First Class.


What's the story? Before they were Professor X and Magneto, Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) were mutants only just discovering the full reach of their power. Stepping back into the 1960s, when the world was on the verge of nuclear war, this prequel sees the beginning of their long-running rivalry – and introduces some very interesting characters along the way, including telepath Emma Frost (January Jones) and my all time favourite of the X-Men, shape-shifting mutant Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence)

Why it's worth paying $17.50 to see... Now, I've seen every film in the X-Men franchise, but apparently this doesn't make me a fan – according to my friend the movies are "watered-down dribble for the masses" and if you want to be considered a real X-Men fan, you have to read the comics, including but not limited to X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, X-treme X-Men, New-X-Men, Young X-Men, New Mutants, X-force, X-Factor, The Exiles, Age of X and Generation Hope... Well, I had no idea that 97% of those even existed (the only comic I've ever read was about a Bassett hound) but as a regular punter I really enjoyed this latest instalment. It's got a solid cast, led by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender (who, I should add, is very easy on the eye), some wicked special effects and an entertaining plot that's easy to follow, even if you're not at all familiar with the comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment