Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

I Hate Soft Sand.

Bathing Beauties

That's what I discovered this weekend when a fit little friend of mine convinced me to join her at bootcamp. I've always had trouble running on hard ground (shin splints and all) – it's why I'm such a big fan of the treadmill – and people have often suggested I try running on the sand. Thus far, I have always politely fobbed them off. The only thing I like to do on the soft sand is lay down on my towel and sunbake.

Apparently at bootcamp, laying down is frowned upon. What's not frowned upon is burpies, squat jumps and laps of the soft sand... uphill, of course. Suffice to say, about half way up the hill for the second time, my legs were burning and if I'd had any breath to spare I would have been cursing my friend. But as it was, I was just trying my best not to keel over and spew on the beach. Not a great first impression, I'm sure.

I've since done a spot of research and read that there's a real technique to soft sand running that I'll definitely need to refine if I want to keep it up. I also read that it works your calves and quads extra hard. And I'm pretty sure my poor suffering legs would agree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment