Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Book Everyone's Talking About Right Now.

$29.95 from Dymocks.

When I read this, I had no real intention of cutting sugar out of my diet. The truth is, I'd just read a lot of hype about this book and I hate feeling like I'm being left behind. So I read it.

David's basic idea is that it's the sugar in the food we eat that's making us fat. Not the actual fat. The badie in this story is fructose. It's something we're eating more of now than ever before and it's not something our bodies really know what to do with. They can recognise fat, turn it into energy and tell us when we've had enough. But fructose? It bypasses the controls. Our bodies don't recognise it coming in and it's turned straight into fatty acid without us even registering that we're full. So naturally, we eat more. It's a vicious cycle.

David lost 40kg by giving up sugar entirely, and he encourages others to do the same. Go cold turkey. Sure, there'll be side affects – there are with any addiction – but in the long run, he reckons you won't miss it.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give up everything sweet – I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea that you have to. (I've always been more of an everything-in-moderation kind of girl.) But David's book has encouraged me to look at just how much sugar is in some of the "healthy" things I eat. And it's shocking. Can you believe there is the same amount of sugar in one of those small packets of sultanas that is in a kilo of grapes? And over seven teaspoons of sugar in a glass of freshly squeezed apple juice? Me neither.

If you are keen to find out more, check out David's website or Sarah Wilson did a good interview with the man himself, where he gives a lot of really practical tips about how you can say au revoir to sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment