Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gwyneth: Love Her On Glee. Love Her In The Kitchen.


I got a sneaky peek at Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook this week and it looks delightful. I've always been suspicious of Gwyneth as a foodie – remember that whole macrobiotic diet thing? – but her recipes on Goop are actually quite good (even if you do have to google some of the ingredients like "arugula" to find out the less schmancy term is "rocket"). So I thought I'd share one of my favourites here...

Chicken Salad
"I like this a lot better than the standard deli chicken salad (which does have an appeal of its own). I added peppery arugula, apple and walnuts to the chicken-mayo-celery combo and finished it off with a squeeze of lime for some zing. I love this as an open-faced sandwich on grilled sourdough."
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (poached or roasted is good, incidentally this is great recipe for leftovers)
  • 1 large stalk celery, cut into 1/4” dice
  • 1/2 green apple, peeled and cut into 1/4” dice
  • 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 handfuls arugula, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup Veganaise, or your favorite mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • coarse salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Stir everything together.

I'm not sure if this recipe will be in the book when it comes out on April 13, but I can't wait to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment