Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Never Doing Spin Because...


I've tried to encourage many a new gym member to come and try a spin class and I've heard all the reasons why they won't. So I thought I'd just rebuff the most popular ones here, so I don't have to keep repeating myself...


1. It's too hard. I'm too unfit.
That's rubbish. You see, in a spin class you control the resistance dial. The instructor might give you some friendly (or in some cases a not-so-friendly) encouragement to put up your resistance but at the end of the day, you decide how much your legs can take and it's up to you to push yourself to that next level. Plus, the only way you're going to get any fitter is if you get on a bike. Sorry to break it to you, but fitness doesn't just come to you while you get some much-needed shut-eye. I wish it did. That would make things a lot easier and really free up my mornings.

2. I don't want to get big thighs.
You probably won't, actually. You need a little thing called testosterone to build muscle and most of us gals just don't have enough of it to get really big and muscly. We'd have to lift weights and work out for hours and hours every day. And lucky for you, a spin class only goes for 45 minutes.

3. I'm not risking a knee injury.
No one wants you to that, but honestly you'd be more likely to hurt your knees running. Cycling is a low-impact activity, which means you can have a high-intensity workout without putting the stress on your joints that running or jumping would. There is always the risk of an injury – especially if you don't set up your bike properly or use enough resistance during the class – but it's no reason not to give cycling a red hot go.

4. I don't have a towel.
Okay. Well, if you forgot your towel, there's really nothing I can do for you. Because spin will make you sweat – like lots and lots of perspiration. So go buy a towel and I'll see you next week.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, this is awkward but... what about how painful the, er, seats are?! That is why I'm scared to do spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mot people I've successfully lured into The Temple Of Doom (aka The Spin Room) have only had this the first few times they did a class because normally - and I hate to say this, but - it's because they don't have enough resistance on and their bottoms are bouncing up and down on the seat. More resistance means more stability, which normally means no pain from the seat. And you should check that your seat is positioned right as well, but any instructor can help you with that. And if all else fails, there are always those bike pants with in-built cushioning. But they are pretty hideous, so I'd try the other two things first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks for that! Yes I think I'd rather pain than those bike pants...

    ReplyDelete