Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Take The Plunge.


Mel: "Let's go in the plunge pool."
Me: "No way. It's freezing in there."
Mel: "You'll lose three kilos, just by jumping in."
Me: "Hang on, I'll get my towel."

I should have known better. Or at least I realised that when I actually gained 200 grams after my first plunge pool experience. But I went back for a second dip the next morning and I have again pretty much every day since. I start with a few minutes in the steam room and then jump into the ice-cold plunge pool.

Why? Because, it turns out, the hot-cold contrast is really good for your muscles. "The lazy person's cool down" is how one of my fellow gym-goers describes it. The heat of the spa or steam room relaxes your muscles and then the shock of the cold water from the plunge pool makes them contract. Then when you hop back in the spa, they relax again. And you gear up enough courage to take the plunge a second (or third) time.

It's become part of my morning routine now and while I still haven't lost the three kilos Mel promised, my muscles are grateful.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine was telling me how in Finland they go in the hot springs, then jump out and roll in the snow, then go back in the hot springs and so on. They think it's very good for them. I guess this is similar!

    ReplyDelete