Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

On The Couch: Is This The New Mad Men?


Boardwalk Empire is the new show that's got everyone talking. So what's it all about? In a nutshell, all the action takes place in Atlantic City in the Prohibition period of the '20s and '30s, where the city's treasurer Nucky – part corrupt politician, part gangster – is running an underbelly of organised crime.

But are you ready for the really hype-worthy stuff? The epic pilot episode, directed by Martin Scorsese, cost nearly $20 million to make. And while the show's creator Terence Winter (yep, he's the guy that brought you The Sopranos) wasn't sure the studios would have the moolah to keep the series running, after the Boardwalk Empire crew picked up a Golden Globe for best dramatic series and reviewers started throwing around words like "breathtaking", "brilliant" and "purely enjoyable", HBO picked it up for a second season.

It started here in Oz last weekend and if you're curious to see what all the fuss is about, you can check it out on Sunday nights at 7.30pm on Showcase.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've heard good things about this. I'm so impatient of TV shows being on weekly though... I'm too used to marathon sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I get so frustrated now when I have to wait a week for the next episode with any show. I mean, seven days is such a long time to be kept in suspense...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because he's my future husband (once he divorces his supermodel wife and 4 children), I have to give a shout out to Mark Wahlberg here got awesome show of the ground, hand picked teh screenwriters and coaxed Scorsese into directing by going onto the set of Shutter Island and begging him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. I had no idea! He's certainly come a long way since Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. Makes me think there might be hope for Justin Timberlake yet...

    ReplyDelete