Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Wait, You Read What?


Let's be clear, I'm not big on self help books. I just picked this one up because Bethenny Frankel has always been my favourite Real Housewife Of New York City and I absolutely loved her two spin-offs Bethenny Getting Married and Bethenny Ever After. I think she's hilarious. But I also think she's got some rockin' advice on how to stay slim and enjoy yourself. I mean, any girl that can lose 30 pounds of baby weight in three weeks and still enjoy a margarita gets my vote.

So aside from the fact that I ended up really enoying her new book A Place Of Yes and getting much more out of it than I ever thought I would, there was one little part of it that I wanted to share. And it's a part where Bethenny talks about diet...

"Focus on your life. Food is just food. What are you using it for?"

This pretty much sums up Bethenny's attitude to healthy eating. She's a chef so you know she can appreciate the value of a really good dish. But she eats and exercises with the primary purpose of treating herself well. So simple, yet so effective.

You don't need to deprive yourself of any food that you really enjoy (in fact, often when you do, it's the only thing you want), but you don't need to overindulge either. Next time you start preparing a meal or reach for a snack, ask yourself: what are you using it for? To fuel your body for a workout? To satisfy a craving? To fill you up for the next few hours? Think about why you're eating. Listen to your body, and pick your food accordingly. Then, move on. Don't let it consume you.

Food is just food, after all.

1 comment:

  1. So true - so many people (myself included!) have a messed up relationship with food and forget that the whole purpose of food is to fuel our bodies.

    ReplyDelete