Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

On the Couch: Red Riding Hood


What's the story? Cast yourself back to a Medieval time, in a small village, surrounded by a thick forest... It's an eerie setting, no? Well, in this village lives Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) – a young girl torn between two men, a strapping young woodcutter and the wealthy blacksmith she is set to marry. But the love triangle quickly becomes the least of Valerie's problems when her town  is terrorized by a werewolf who walks among the villagers by day and hunts them at night.

Why it's worth seeing on Cheap Tuesday, but I wouldn't pay full price: It's a dark take on the classic fairytale but sadly there is no snappy script or Oscar-worthy performances here. And it's not particularly scary either. But the story is one that will keep you guessing (and if you're as lucky as I was, there'll be someone seated next to you in the cinema doing all the guessing for you... out loud – for the entire film). I'm tempted to say wait till it comes out on DVD, but I think the big screen might actually do this flick a few favours. Oh, and if you like yourself a brooding bad boy, there's some decent eye candy in the form of Shiloh Fernandez.

3 comments:

  1. I'm secretly excited to see this even though I predict it will be pretty bad... and I hated the book. What did you think of Max Irons (Henry)? I think he's gorgeous, but I haven't actually seen him in anything yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post on the book. "Stabby" – what a great way to describe it! I think Max is very cute but I don't think the film gave him enough charm, or strength as a character somehow. I'd love to know what you think when you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm hopefully he'll become the breakout star. Did you know he's Jeremy Irons son? I'm becoming a bit obsessed hehe. I'm going to see it on Wednesday so I'll definitely do a post about it! :-)

    ReplyDelete